I have never heard of German sandwich cake before and I feel like I have been missing out! I love coconut, pecans and, most of al chocolate, so how I have missed this one I am not sure. I intend to make up for lost time though by attempting these heavenly looking sandwich cookie versions of the traditional cake…
Makes 2 dozen cookies
60g cocoa powder
330g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of Soda
1 tsp salt
225g unsalted butter
400g demerara sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
For the filling:
Two tins sweetened condensed milk
225g unsweetened shredded coconut
200g finely chopped toasted pecans
- Heat the oven to 180C / Gas Mark 4. Line two large baking sheets with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the cocoa powder, flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a second large bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping the bowl after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.
- Add half of the flour mixture, stirring to combine. Add the milk, scraping the bowl to ensure even mixing. Add the second half of the flour mixture, again scraping the bowl.
- Working in batches, drop the dough by the tablespoonful onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between each for spreading. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until slightly firm to the touch. Allow to cool on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- For the filling: In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the sweetened condensed milk and the coconut. Heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture starts to pull away from the pan and will hold a line when you drag your spoon through it, 8 to 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- Place the pecans in a shallow bowl or pie pan. Spread a spoonful of the coconut mixture onto the flat side of one cooled cookie. Top with another cookie, flat side down, to form a sandwich. Roll the edges of the sandwich cookie in the chopped pecans.
- Store in an airtight container between sheets of waxed paper.
Thanks so much to Tulsa World for opening my eyes to this delicious treat!