Ingredients (serves 12)
225g caster sugar
115g self-raising flour
115g plain flour
115g cocoa powder
White chocolate custard
2 tablespoons custard powder
1 tablespoon cornflour
1 tablespoon caster sugar
410ml cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
90g block white chocolate, chopped
Milk and white chocolate mini eggs, to decorate
150g dark chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup thickened cream
- Make custard: Combine custard powder, cornflour and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons milk. Stir until smooth. Gradually stir in remaining milk. Cook, stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes or until custard boils and thickens (custard will coat the back of a spoon). Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and chocolate until smooth. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 170°C/150°C fan-forced. Grease two 6cm-deep, 20cm (base) round springform cake pans. Line bases with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggs until thick and creamy (about 8 to 10 minutes). Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating to dissolve. Meanwhile, triple-sift flours and cocoa powder. Fold into egg mixture until just combined. Divide between prepared pans.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, swapping halfway through cooking, or until cakes spring back when touched in centre. Turn, top side up, onto wire racks lined with baking paper to cool completely.
- Line base and side of 1 springform pan with plastic wrap. Place 1 cake in prepared pan. Spoon over custard. Top with remaining cake. Cover. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until custard has set.
- Make ganache; Place chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium-high for 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring with a metal spoon, or until smooth. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until thick and spreadable. Remove cake from pan. Transfer to a plate. Spread with ganache. Stand for 5 minutes. Top with eggs. Set aside for 15 minutes to set.
Recipe from: http://bit.ly/n6M1dW