As the picture of this cake looks too good not to share, todays recipe is praline cake squares – yum!
240ml sour cream
115g salted butter
350g brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
300g plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
115g salted butter, softened
6 tablespoons evaporated milk
200g dark brown sugar
125g chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 180oC / Gas Mark 4. Grease and flour square baking/cake pan.
- In a saucepan, heat the sour cream and butter gently, until butter melts. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add the brown sugar, eggs and vanilla, and beat together.
- Whisk together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa powder.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Mix until just incorporated. Don’t over mix.
- Pour into baking/cake pan.
- Bake for about 20-25, until cake tester or toothpick comes out clean from center of cake.
- While cake is baking combine icing ingredients, except for pecans, until smooth.
- As soon as cake is done, spread icing on top, and sprinkle with pecans.
- Return cake to bottom rack of oven, and broil until icing bubbles (about 4-5 minutes).
- Watch carefully. When icing bubbles, remove from oven, slightly cool, cut in square and serve.